ETP4HPC issues and maintains this Strategic Research Agenda (SRA) as a mechanism to guide EU priorities for HPC research, and specifically to the EuroHPC Joint Undertaking, define the contents of the HPC Technology Work Programmes within the European research Programme - Horizon Europe. The SRA reflects the needs of the European HPC Technology providers and other members of the European HPC ecosystem, i.e.: PRACE (academic users), industrial HPC end users, Independent Software Vendors. It also uses the conclusions made available by other initiatives such as AIOTI, ECSO, HiPEAC, EESI, PlanetHPC or the Big Data community (represented by the Big Data Value Association).
Strategic Research Agenda 4
The structure of SRA 4 differs from those of the previous SRAs. The concept of vertical areas (see figure), corresponding to the different elements of the supercomputing stack or the use of HPC, and each addressed by a dedicated Working Group:
- System Architecture,
- System Hardware Components,
- System Software & Management,
- Programming Environment,
- I/O & Storage,
- Mathematics & Algorithms,
- Application co-design,
- Centre-to-Edge Framework,
has been completed by a number of ‘horizontal’ Research Clusters, addressing the most important research challenges for Work Programmes 2021-2022 and beyond. The final set of Clusters was selected based on technical contents as well as on relevance according to the following parameters:
- Relevance & Impact (why do this?) - In general, why is this Cluster’s contribution important for the future work programmes?
- Maturity (time to market) - How long will it take approximately for the technology, features and functions addressed by the cluster to turn into commercially available products or services?
- Hurdles to overcome - What are the main R&D hurdles presented by the Cluster? These could be of e.g. technological, skills, infrastructure, financial investment, risk or legal nature.
- Driving competencies in Europe - Where are the competences necessary for a successful execution of the R&D associated with the Cluster? In Europe and outside of Europe?
- Cost of research to achieve significant uptake - What financial investment is necessary to produce commercially usable results?
For more information, please visit: https://www.etp4hpc.eu/sra.html
This is the current SRA4 model: